NOW IN STUDIO ESPINETTE
LA PETITE ESPINETTE
The first studio purchase by Theo Lohmann in 1922 concerned a wooden hut with a tiled roof – named ‘espinette’ in Belgian. Up to this day this studio is named ‘La Petite Espinette’. This property was originally constructed in 1907 by Blaricum carpenter Kok as annex on the grounds of a Torenlaan house. It was taken apart, moved to the Schapendrift and reconstructed there. In describing Lohmann’s 75th birthday celebrations in 1955 the local newspaper, de Bel, reports: ‘Mother Lohmann, who had come along to have a good look before the actual purchase, had an excellent memory. She remembered it exactly and was in charge of rebuilding.’ When daughter Vera Gerson Lohman and her husband Ernst had to raise their four children they attached La Petite Espinette to the Mondriaan Studio and enlarged the structure with a stone extension with bedrooms and bathroom in 1948.